Friday, May 2, 2008

Butterflies, Bullies, & Bracelets


Last night, about 20 minutes or so after I put the kids to bed, Ian suddenly says, "Mommy, come here! There's a butterfly in my room!" Well, I just figured it was a moth and told him, "That's cool, now go to sleep." (I was already warm and comfy in my own bed!) This went on for a while, until he insisted that I come in the room. Wow, there really was a butterfly in their room (the picture doesn't do it justice)! How could I have ever doubted him? :) It was HUGE and so pretty. It was on the wall across from their beds. I'm not sure how it got in the house.... I never saw a butterfly fly in. Bella and Ian were so excited to have a butterfly in their room, there was no sleeping after that! At first, I thought I'd leave it and deal with it in the morning, but for some reason, it gave me a creepy feeling, knowing it might be flying around the house all night! I'm not typically creeped out by any insect, and I love butterflies, but I decided it needed to go outside. I caught it quite easily and we placed it on some colorful flowers right outside our front door, letting in even more flying insects!



Are these the COOLEST kids you've ever seen, or what?! Well, with such a cool mom, they're bound to be cool, right?? After the TORNADO scare had passed, we headed over to Tyler for a playdate with a friend and her son (I wish I had taken some pictures!). We had a great time... except for that really mean boy in the play area :( He kept hitting all the kids and throwing shoes at everyone (he couldn't have been more than 2)! What's worse is that the boy's parents were watching him the whole time and didn't do much to stop his behavior. How would any of you handle a situation like this? Anyway, overall it was a fun playdate, and Krista and I had fun getting caught up.


My husband is a member of the SWAT team and most of the guys wear team bracelets made out of black cord. A couple of nights ago he decided to make the kids their own matching team bracelets! They LOVED them. They know that Daddy has never taken his off (ever), and so they were really excited to get their own. Bella didn't like the idea of bathing with hers on (I don't blame her), but Ian refuses to take his off! It is the sweetest thing... he wants to be just like his daddy! I doubt it will ever come off!

2 comments:

Andrea said...

Thats a very cute pic of your COOL kids.

As far as bullies, I hardly ever tell another child how to behave if their parent is around. Thats my personality though. However, if another child hit mine, which has happened at McDonalds, I go and tell them not to hit my child. If it happens again I would go talk to the parent. It hasn't come to that for me.

So that tornado warning FREAKED me out!

Lisa H said...

How fun to have a butterfly in the kid's bedroom! I'm not sure if my boys would like it or be freaked out about it. :)

Yes, those ARE the coolest kids I've seen all day. Cute!

About the boy at the playground? I'm the type that would say something, even if the other parents are there. I think it's our responsibility to advocate for our children and also teach them to stand up for themselves (not in an aggressive way, but with a gentle and polite manner). I would probably do one of two things: 1) Help my child to ask the other child to please stop hitting/throwing or whatever. 2) Talk to the offending child myself and ask him nicely not to keep doing that. Then if it continued I would maybe just get my kids involved in another area or activity and try to avoid that child.

I wouldn't necessarily talk to the other parents because they obviously already know that it's going on, so talking to them will only make them feel attacked or defensive.

One more thing--the bracelets are totally cool! I love that Ian didn't want to take his off, that is so sweet! :)